Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Top 5 Cult Beauty Buys That Don't Deserve The Hype

These are my opinions. This means they are not fact =). Just a disclaimer before I say something not flattering about something you may be using. I just hope to save some fabulous ladies out there money. I am going to be starting a series for YOU to send me a review on a product and we'll post it. You either rate it or hate it and it will be called Reader Review. Do you already have a product in mind? Write a review and send it to dollcosmetics@gmail.com.
Like I said in previous posts. This mascara is TeRrIbLe. I know there are a lot of lovers out there of this product but I don't see it! There are SO many others out there that are better, that don't clump and that lengthen. It is the most natural mascara out there, I'll give it that...but that is ALL. For some odd reason, beauty editors and makeup artists alike love to put this down as the best mascara ever created, when it’s one of the worsts that I’ve ever tried. Keep in mind that all of those celebrities are being paid a nice sum to say it's great. That's my two cents, try it for yourself and come to your own conclusion. I recommend Lash Blast as a good budget buy.
This lotion was ALL the rage when it came out and couldn't stay on the shelf to save it's life. Let's be honest, a lotion that could double as a tanner? That's HUGE!!! But alas things have evolved and this lotion hasn't. It isn't water or sweat resistant and drips down your body as if trying to flee back to the bottle from whence it came. The smell is altogether not great and there are just better options now a days...aren't we LuCkY??? I for SURE recommend Sally Hansen's Airbrushed Legs!
Bare Escentuals/Minerals is clearly the "rage" with a lot of people that want something that is better for their skin. First of all, YES, I am all for that...but I am also wanting more. I want something great for my skin that actually gives me good coverage. I was not personally impressed with this line and hope that something better will come along in the future.  I will be trying the Matte foundation formula here soon and am hoping it will work for me. Let me be clear, I do NOT hate this line, I just think it is over-hyped.
I would NEVER buy another foundation from MAC and if they came out with something new, I would have my guard up like CrAzY. I used to love it until I tried other things and found out that this foundation is just not all it's cracked up to be. I still have SO many of them though and will use them all up in tutorials. I have found Makeup Forever is great, Cinema Secrets is amazing, and Chanel hold its own as well. Like the post title says....doesn't deserve the hype.
MAC started out as a great product founded by two men from Canada that saw the need in the industry for a stellar product for MUAs. With any line, however, when it gets bigger or is just there for a long time, management switches around, ownership changes and product quality, as a result, can also change. Estee Lauder acquired controlling interest in '94 and completed "the deed" in '98. Some higher up artists didn't like what was going to happen to the quality, jumped ship and headed over to Makeup Forever (singing voice) which is amaaaaazing!!!!!! So, once my "rose-colored glasses" came off I saw MAC for what it was and is. They have some great shadows, I can get that LOTS of other places, all of their creamy things, Paint pots, blushes, color bases are terrible. The application is awful and FAR superior products used for the same thing can be found ALL over Sephora. I still like their lipsticks, I'm a sucker for a good palette and I love most of their brushes. I won't stop buying MAC but I am no longer a slave to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment